Don't Be a "One-and-Done"

I don't want to be a teacher who is one and done. What do I mean? I don't want to use one App and have my iPads gather dust. I have been looking for creative ways to use multiple iPad Apps in a lesson.

Just the other day, I had my students listen to a college class in iTunesU. I figured that it was better than listening to me! As students listened to portions of the lecture, I had them take notes on a graphic organizer.

Instead of having the podcast go in "one ear and out the other," I wanted to create a unique way for students to share their new knowledge. Students were asked to use Toontastic, an App designed to create dynamic cartoons, to author a "training video" about the topic for "new employees."

Toontastic was very easy to use because it provides background templates and characters. As they navigated the characters by a simple drag and drop, students narrated the story as the App recorded their words. Most of all, it created a memorable experience for all involved. It engaged students!

My seniors loved using both Apps! In fact, one of my very mature male students said that this was the "coolest thing we have done all year!" In a way, I was glad to hear that!

There are many ways that this particular App could be used in any classroom. Imagine quick ways to review vocabulary terms! Have students recreate a historical event! Even have them explain a complex scientific process! It was very easy to use and the best part - it was free!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

The Medium is the Message: Using UDL to Provide Multiple Means of Representation

Canadian philosopher and author Marshall McLuhan  introduced the popular phrase “the medium is the message” in his groundbreaking 1964 book ...