Show Some Love for Symbaloo

Let me tell you a quick story. When I was in high school, I was unsure of what profession I wanted to go into. I thought that I would go into hotel management like my dad and took a few business classes during my senior year to get a head start. It was during this time period, when I fell in love with Business Education. With the encouragement and support of my teacher, Mrs. Jerry Guttman, I took the plunge and majored in Business Secondary Education. 

I am pleased to say that Mrs. "G" still has a major influence on my career today. In fact, I was able to visit her amazing school store at Manheim Township High School (Lancaster, PA) just a few years ago to get some ideas for my own school. Without her help, I wouldn't be half the teacher I am today. Thanks Mrs. G!  Just recently, she contacted me to let me know of a cool site called Symbaloo, which is a great alternative to Delicious, Google Bookmarks and Diigo.

If you are like me, you want something that is easy to use with an easy to use interface. Symbaloo incorporates both in its "tile interface." You can categorize your tiles into collections called Webmixes. For example, if you wanted to create a Web 2.0 webmix, you can add your own sites or add sites from others. When you bookmark a site, it becomes a tile. When you click on the tile, you will be able to access your site. The drag and drop tile interface is very easy to navigate and interact with your bookmarks in a visual way. 

It also incorporates a widget called Centerbox, which gives you the opportunity to conduct a Google Search from the page. I have only used Symbaloo for a few days, but I can say that I may delete my Delicious account. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Tips for Engaging Learners with UDL

Phillip Schlechty (2011) theorized that the highest levels of learner engagement require learners' full attention and commitment. While ...