How Do You Give #Directions? Stop Repeating Yourself! (Part 2)

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in church and noticed something. Many of the announcements that used to be in the bulletin were now flashing in front of my eyes on a PowerPoint presentation. I suddenly thought, why can't I do the same in the beginning of class?

So my creative mind began coming up with a few ideas. What do my  kids do in the beginning of class? They tend to ignore directions written on a chalkboard or PowerPoint slide. I get tired of repeating myself over and over and over and.... well you get the point!

I decided to communicate upcoming dates, announcements, materials needed, etc. in a small slide slide show that repeats itself over and over. Best of all, the slides are loaded with bizarre pictures that get the point across. I mean, who doesn't want to get out a writing utensil after seeing a girl with a pencil up her nose? I know! I know! I am being a little graphic, but it does get their attention.

Best of all, I found a way to play this PowerPoint on only half of my screen, so I can use the other half for our warm-up activity. Here's how I do it:


After turning to this, I am able to communicate with my students much better. Best of all, they are more attentive and engaged at the beginning of class. Rather than trying to fool around or walk in late, they hustle to class to see what the next "shocking picture" will be!

2 comments:

  1. I tried this with my students today, and man, were they into it! I always try to make an engaging slide for the Do Now, but I get frustrated by a lack of space and they never seem to really read it. What a change today! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I am so glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete

The Medium is the Message: Using UDL to Provide Multiple Means of Representation

Canadian philosopher and author Marshall McLuhan  introduced the popular phrase “the medium is the message” in his groundbreaking 1964 book ...