You Don't Have to Be an Expert, But Know Where to Look - iPad Apps to Help (Part 2)



In this series, I would like to continue sharing some more simple ideas to bring experts into your room without much time or effort.

Skype OR FaceTime 

Engaging our students differently requires looking at different pathways to gauge their interests. For example, you could read about a particular topic or you could find someone to serve as a guest teacher through Skype. Which method will engage the most students?

My students and I are discussing the importance of how entrepreneurs capitalize on simple ideas. Instead of reading about it, I chose to take a different approach. I reached out to 1800 GOT JUNK CEO Brian Scudamore and asked for his help. I wanted him to share his story of how he started all three of his companies. Not only did he tell his story, but he also took Q & A from my kids.

It is amazing how using Skype or FaceTime is much more appealing to experts in the field. It is easier for them to take 30 minutes out of their schedule to talk versus three hours to travel, go through school security, talk, and then travel home.

Conclusion:

I applaud Brian for his willingness to share his experiences from Vancouver, Canada; however, you have experts in your own community who are more than willing to share their experienceq with you. If you are talking about Chinese culture, why not ask the parent who is traveling to China?  If you are discussing English literature, why not ask the college professor down the road? Technology has made it much more effective and efficient to share through media like Skype or FaceTime.

NOVEMBER IS CLICK FOR A CAUSE MONTH!

Join me for Click for a Cause. The nephew of one of my students was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and is at Hershey Medical Center receiving treatment. I was so touched by his story that I wanted to do something. 

For every time someone visits my blog during the month of November, I am going to donate a penny to his medical fund. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Medium is the Message: Using UDL to Provide Multiple Means of Representation

Canadian philosopher and author Marshall McLuhan  introduced the popular phrase “the medium is the message” in his groundbreaking 1964 book ...